This program integrates knowledge in biology, physics, and chemistry in a way that enables various applications to human and industrial problems through technology, consisting of the use of living organisms, or compounds obtained from living organisms, in order to acquire products valuable to human beings. To that end, biotechnology can be applied to several areas, such as the production of foods and beverages, drugs, genetic improvement of livestock and crops, prevention and treatment of diseases, pollution control, and even the production of forms of energy with lower environmental impact.
Degree Qualifications Profile
Upon completion of the program, the graduate will be able to:
Propose and design biotechnological processes inherent to application in laboratories; employing logical, critical, creative, and ethical thinking.
- Participate in the development process of products generated through genetic engineering.
- Control the quality of supplies and products in biotechnological industries.
- Carry out general operations and instrumental techniques in biotechnology laboratories.
- Apply biotechnological processes that entail the improvement of organisms used in animal husbandry, crop production, health, and industrial processes.
- Design, lead, and execute methodologies destined to the bioremediation of polluted environments.
- Do basic and specific research in different areas of biotechnology.
- Be aware of the ethical and legal aspects of biotechnology.
To train professionals with:
- A solid scientific, technological, and ethical foundation in the field of biotechnology, both in terms of comprehension and critical assessment.
- High-level professional and academic training for the analysis of the technological aspects of Bio-science, its applications, and uses for human development.
- The ability to propose creative alternatives in response to changes in science and technology, within the frame of societal requirements.
- The ability to participate in tasks related to the development, improvement and transmission of procedures and products applied in industry or services that support the protection of the environment and contribute to the biotechnological development of the country.
- The ability to analyze, explain, communicate ideas, solve problems, propose solutions, and work in teams, with a high level of autonomy.
To prepare the students for:
- Understanding, analyzing, and participating in the implementation process of theoretical and practical aspects inherent to biotechnology.
- Analyzing and participating in the production processes of goods and services, through multidisciplinary processes inherent to biotechnology, within a framework of respect toward the ethical and legal norms that regulate biotechnology.
- Proposing process designs for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disesases.
- Designing and arguing for proposals of processes such as the production for nutritive and inocuous foods, biological pest control, as well as environmental rehabilitation, and use and conservation of natural resources and the ecosystem.
- Applying methodologies for general operations and the management of laboratory instrumental techniques.
- Investigating, selecting and organizing information, models, and alternatives for the solution of problems inherent to biotechnological processes.
- Carrying out manipulations inherent to biotechnology, observing principles of biosafety, respect for the environment, and the bioremediation of polluted environments.
Info and contact
Department of Biotechnology
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 07:00 am to 01:00 pm